Tuesday, September 29, 2009

questionnaire response from Some one in London

Hi Emma

Thanks for the email.

Good question...


Here's my 10pth.



S






On 29 Sep 2009, at 11:29, emma georgiou wrote:

Hi

My names Emma Georgiou and I am currently at Stockport College, Manchester completing my final year for my graphic design degree.I came across an interesting article on the DandAD website called Everyone starts somewhere. This is a collection of old work produced by big names in the Graphic Design industry including degree work.

This Article made me question how much does old work help later on in your career and does everybody keep and refer to this.

1- Would you recommend Students keeping a record of all previous work they have produced?
Sure, if you have the space, it can be fun looking back and seeing how you've changed. But it's not food to be constanty stuck in your past work. Bertrand Russell says that happiness can only come from being truly open to new experiences. I think design operates in the same way. Keep your options open for as long as possible — that doesn't come from constant reference to your previous work.



2-Have you ever personally refereed back to previous work when finding it hard to come up with ideas?
Not really, Student work often differs from commercial work. However the things you learn and develop at college stay with you and you use those things daily. Malcom Gladwells book 'Outliers' suggests one can't be considered an expert until one has amassed 10,000hrs in a chosen field. You just need to keep on keeping on. 



3-Would you find idea generation more effective referring back to your old work or books and other sources?
Design and the creative industry is very incestuous, it's best to look outside of it for inspiration. No matter how hard I've tried, it's almost impossible to apply an idea I've had for another client. Inspiration comes from the brief, and from one's life experience. Design books are a record of what's occurred, but I've never thought lifting ideas from design books is very useful as it's simply duplication. 




4- And finally, How important is it to record all your work and ideas into a journal or blog?
I’m not sure it's important to personally record all one's work. The good stuff will be recorded for you by others. For me, the people that constantly refer to old sketchbooks and D&AD annuals seem to give off the feeling that they have run out of ideas. I think there's been some confusion in the design industry that Artists refer to sketches, so designers should too. Artists sketch in the field so they can take it to the studio and expand upon it. 



Thank you for taking your time to read my questions and I would be very grateful for some feedback.
You can find the collection of work Everyone starts somewhere at: http://www.dandad.org/everyone_starts_exhibition/

Many thanks

Emma Georgiou

No comments: