Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Questionnaire response from Craig Oldham

Hi Emma.
I've had a crack below.

Kindest. Craig.

1.
Would you recommend Students keeping a record of all previous work they have produced?
I would suggest this to an extent, yes. They provide a reference point on which to develop and move on from and, over time, become visible yardsticks on your direction and career in later years. I still have all of my third year college work, some second year pieces and one first year piece. They almost become a thinking post-it note as to where you are. They also very embarrassing to look at and have a laugh with.

2.
Have you ever personally refereed back to previous work when finding it hard to come up with ideas?
Not to steal directly, but if there’s a thought I remember I had for a similar problem I may refer to another solution to see how it may help with the current piece. Many a designer will tell you tales of ideas they have in the ‘bottom drawer’ or the ‘ones that got away’. More often than not, they re-appear in mutated forms for other solutions. I only think this works if it is relative though, as every problem is a different one.

3.
Would you find idea generation more effective referring back to your old work or books and other sources?
There’s a difference between and idea and inspiration. Looking through books or old work is the same thing: inspiration. Having an idea is something completely different. It’s only effective if you get inspired.

4.
How important is it to record all your work and ideas into a journal or blog?
Again, this is subjective. Some people have to record every though. Stefan Sagmeister sees these kinds of things as highly important (it’s one of his maxims in Things I Have Learned In My Life So Far) but other people simply don’t do it. I struggle to order and keep things such as a blog or a journal. I rather have a trusty, ragged sketchbook that contains senseless doodles and meeting notes that would make no sense whatsoever to anyone other than me. I also have books for ideas when I develop them and sticking-into books. I find them important, but only so you don’t forget something, which ultimately, renders them personal and of little interest in a recorded sense.


On Tue 29/09/09 11:23 AM , emma georgiou emmageorgiou88@hotmail.co.uk sent:
Hi

My names Emma Georgiou and I am currently at Stockport College completing my final year for my graphic design degree.I came across an interesting article on the DandAD website called Everyone starts somewhere. This is a collection of old work produced by big names in the Graphic Design industry including degree work.

This Article made me question how much does old work help later on in your career and does everybody keep and refer to this.

1- Would you recommend Students keeping a record of all previous work they have produced?


2-Have you ever personally refereed back to previous work when finding it hard to come up with ideas?


3-Would you find idea generation more effective referring back to your old work or books and other sources?


4- And finally, How important is it to record all your work and ideas into a journal or blog?


Thank you for taking your time to read my questions and I would be very grateful for some feedback.
You can find the collection of work Everyone starts somewhere at: http://www.dandad.org/everyone_starts_exhibition/

Many thanks

Emma Georgiou

No comments: