Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Questionnaire response from Love

Hi Emma,
I have answered your questions below as best I can, as head of business development for LOVE I don't actually produce design work myself but after almost 10 years in the business, hopefully my input will be of use.
All the best
Sarah


From: emma georgiou [mailto:emmageorgiou88@hotmail.co.uk]
To: s.murray@lovecreative.com
Sent: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 11:26:43 +0100
Subject: Everyone Starts Somewhere

Hi

My names Emma Georgiou and I am currently at Stockport College completing my final year for my graphic design degree.I came across an interesting article on the DandAD website called Everyone starts somewhere. This is a collection of old work produced by big names in the Graphic Design industry including degree work.

This Article made me question how much does old work help later on in your career and does everybody keep and refer to this.

1- Would you recommend Students keeping a record of all previous work they have produced?
Yes because it not only shows potential employers what your skill set is like but, as your progress in your career, it can also act as an ongoing reminder of what your 'raw' talent was like. A lot of designers can tend to modify and adapt their styles into what they think agencies/clients want, but very often it's your individual style that is the most interesting/valuable.

2-Have you ever personally refereed back to previous work when finding it hard to come up with ideas?
I haven't no, but I know that many designers do - it's like a continuous evolution and refinement of your skill and, while it's important to look forward, it's also important to remember what's happened in the past - certain ideas/designs that weren't relevant 2 years ago may come 'round again.

3-Would you find idea generation more effective referring back to your old work or books and other sources?
I think inspiration comes in many forms - more often than not designers seeking inspiration and stimulation will look to other sources...not necessarily design but music, film, art, architecture, packaging... However, it's important that inspiration remains just that and doesn't become plagiarism

4- And finally, How important is it to record all your work and ideas into a journal or blog?
I think it is important to record your work and ideas, how you choose to record them is a very personal thing....some people have a mini library of Moleskine sketchbooks that they amass over the years, others have a collection of CD Roms.. Putting your work 'out there' in the public domain via a blog or website is also an option as it increases your visibility within the industry and design community however you also run the risk of people copying your work. 


Thank you for taking your time to read my questions and I would be very grateful for some feedback.
You can find the collection of work Everyone starts somewhere at: http://www.dandad.org/everyone_starts_exhibition/

Many thanks

Emma Georgiou

No comments: