Thursday, April 9, 2009

Portfolio Visit at Williams and Crosby

My portfolio visit was at a company called Williams and Crosby in Macclesfield. While I was waiting for the creative director a designer called Laura showed me work the company was doing at the moment which was a book for an exhibition being held in the Manchester art gallery Cube.
  
After this The Creative director Ed came in and sat me down around a big board room table to look through my portfolio. He liked the way I had created a book but suggested printing off a few as a leave behind But not as a main portfolio. He suggested either the folders  or the box Portfolio. He was impressed by my typography skills which I was shocked at because I also see typography as my weakness.He also spotted mistakes in my photo shop work which I hadn't noticed.This was quiet embarrassing but showed me how i need to look at my work in detail in the future. He obviously new I was a student but suggested more work in my portfolio including scamps and more explanation on how the work was put together rather than the brief.He was impressed with me showing photography work and the animation, He said he always looks for a range of work in Peoples portfolios.I will take all this advise on board when I next have to create a portfolio.

After he looked through my portfolio I asked him a number of questions which he was happy to answer. He said C.V's are a big impression on him before he even looks at the portfolio. He said he can tell someones creativity by the layout and font used. He also said he looks at marks such as GCSE more then degree because you need good grammar and degree marks don't always reflect the students work. He talked me through a typical pitch and how there company never do free pitches..he showed me examples of work and gave me price estimates on how much the work costs to produce and there asking price if the company is interested. The visit was not as scary as I thought and now I have been on one i no what to expect in the future.

No comments: